Schwar Capital Research

Schwar Capital Research

Why I'm Halving My Largest Position

Ember Infrastructure wants to buy Ashtead Technology at 615p. One shareholder is telling the board to say no. I'm rethinking how much of the portfolio should ride on the answer.

Schwar Capital Research's avatar
Schwar Capital Research
Oct 07, 2026
∙ Paid

To read our full disclaimer, click here.

At 4:14pm on Wednesday 23 September, Ashtead Technology (AIM: AT.) confirmed it had received a takeover proposal.

615p a share, in cash, from Ember Infrastructure, a New York private equity firm.

The shares had closed at 340p the day before. They finished that Wednesday at 545p, almost all of the move coming in the last few minutes of trading. As I write, they’re at 555p, about 11% below Ember’s proposal.

Ashtead’s share price over the last year: the March results, the May high, the August profit warning, the 326p low on 1 September, and the jump on 23 September towards Ember’s 615p.

Full disclosure: Ashtead is the largest position in the Schwar Capital Research portfolio. I’m planning to trim it before Ember’s deadline. It’s how I manage size and risk, and it doesn’t change how I see the business. The reasoning is further down.

Since the bid, one shareholder has gone public urging the board to reject it, and the board’s own behaviour has given me something new to think about.


What the Announcement Actually Says

This is Ember’s fourth approach. The board “unequivocally rejected” the first two. The announcement doesn’t say what happened to the third, but Ember came back again, and this time the board is “considering the proposal with its advisers” and has started giving Ember preliminary due diligence information.

That’s a big shift. A board that has twice said no in the strongest terms available doesn’t open its books to a bidder unless it thinks the price is somewhere close to acceptable.

The proposal is still non-binding. Under the Takeover Code, Ember has until 5pm on 21 October to either make a firm offer or walk away. That deadline can be extended, and often is.

At 615p, Ember would be paying about £498 million for the equity.

From the company's announcement on 23 September. The key lines are the fourth approach and the board now sharing due diligence information.

How We Got Here

In March, Ashtead reported full-year 2025 results ahead of expectations (I covered them here): revenue up 21% to £203 million, adjusted EPS of 49.4p, and returns on capital above 22%. The shares were around 400p, roughly 8x earnings. By May they had run to around 530p.

Then the conflict in the Middle East arrived.

A July trading update flagged project delays. On 20 August the company warned that 2026 revenue would come in about 5% below expectations and profit about 15% below, as Middle East work was pushed into 2027.

By 1 September, the day of the half-year results, the shares were down to 326p. The results showed revenue up just 1.1%, with margins lower.

The financial highlights slide from Ashtead’s half-year results presentation, 1 September 2026. Revenue flat, margins down: the weak year Ember has chosen to bid into.

I held through all of it.

In my view the business hadn’t broken. Work had been delayed, and delayed work tends to come back in a business like this.

That’s the moment Ember chose. A business with a strong long-term record, its shares down almost 40% from the May high, in the one year its growth had stalled.

At 615p, Ember is offering about 13x consensus 2027 earnings, for a stock that spent most of this year at 7 to 9x. It’s also about 40% above the roughly 440p the shares traded at before the August warning, which is close to a standard takeover premium on the pre-warning price. Ember is pricing the business as if the delays never happened, and adding the usual premium for control on top.


The Shareholder Who Wants the Board to Say No

On 30 September, Sun Mountain Partners, a Boston investment firm that owns about 1.4% of Ashtead’s shares, published a letter it had sent to the board urging it to reject Ember’s proposal.

Its case rests on three points:

The highlights of Sun Mountain’s letter, as published on 30 September.

Its portfolio manager, Christian Solberg, called selling at 615p “a giveaway of its great future to a private buyer.”

Parts of this go too far for me.

The six-year window starts around 2020, when offshore activity was close to its lows, and a large share of the growth since then came from debt-funded acquisitions.

Ashtead’s own ten-year track record slide. The record is real, but the starting point matters: 2020 was the COVID trough, and the logos along the bottom are the acquisitions that drove much of the growth since.

Projecting 26.6% a year forward from a base that is now several times larger is extrapolating a great past into the future, and the top of that range depends on it.

But the core of the argument is valid.

Ember is buying a high-return business at the bottom of its cycle, on an average multiple of depressed earnings. If the delayed work comes back in 2027, the recovery belongs to Ember.

In my view, Ember is getting a very good deal.


Why Would a Board Sell at the Bottom?

This board turned Ember down twice, unequivocally.

It is now engaging at a moment when its own share price is close to its low for the year, and on a year of earnings everyone agrees is below the company’s potential.

There are good reasons a board might do that.

An 81% premium to the undisturbed price is hard to turn down on behalf of shareholders, and directors have a duty to take a serious offer seriously.

But there’s another way to read it.

The people with the best view of the order book, the customer conversations and the 2027 pipeline have looked at the same recovery Sun Mountain is describing, and they’ve decided that 615p in cash today is worth engaging with. That may simply be a fair price for certainty. It may also say something about how confident management is in running this business through the next couple of years in public, quarter by quarter, with the market watching.

I don’t know which it is.

It’s the first time in my ownership that the people running Ashtead have signalled a price at which they’d consider handing it over, and I’m weighing that.


What I’m Doing

This post is for paid subscribers

Already a paid subscriber? Sign in
© 2026 Schwar Capital · Privacy ∙ Terms ∙ Collection notice
Start your SubstackGet the app
Substack is the home for great culture